These muffins can be made with or without whey, they were created due to the leftover whey I had following my Yorkshire Curd Tart creation which I made. Give them a whirl, they’re moist, tangy and have a lovely sweet taste to compliment the lemon.
If you don’t have any whey just substitute the 240ml of whey for 150ml milk and 90ml water.
Muffins (makes about 12-14)
- 280g Plain Flour
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2tsp Bicarbonte of Soda
- 1 egg
- 190g Granulated Sugar
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1tsp Lemon Essence (optional if you have it)
- 20ml Whey
- 90ml Vegetable Oil
- 1tbsp Lemon Juice (juiced form your lemon)
- 1tbsp Lime Juice (bottled or fresh if you have limes around)
- 1tbsp Poppy Seeds (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp Caster Sugar
- Curl the rind before hand and put aside for decoration.
- 60g Icing Sugar, sifted
- 1-2tbsp Lime Juice
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and line a 12 holed muffin tin.
- Sieve all your dry ingredients in to a large bowl and add your poppy seeds (these are optional)
- In another bowl or large jug whisk your egg, then add the sugar and whisk this in fully.
- Add your lemon essence (if using), then the lemon rind…mix again.
- Now beat in your whey gradually and finally pour in your lemon juice.
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry and beat with a wooden spoon until fully combined.
- Scoop in to the paper cases – about 3/4 full and put the leftover mixture in to a spare couple of cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes checking frequently to ensure the don’t brown too much.
- Once they’re out of the oven, pierce each one 5 times with a cocktail stick and pour your syrup over each muffin.
- Leave them to cool in the tins and the syrup will sink in.
- Mix your lime drizzle.
- Add a teaspoon on to the top of each muffin with a lemon curl and sprinkles (optional)
So there you have it! Two tasty recipes from one litre of full fat Jersey milk..waste not, want not! My bestie; Ollie was here when they were completed and despite saying she would take one home to eat, it didn’t make it past the kitchen door!
Box or tin them up and share….or just devour yourself! Surely they’re on of your five a day with lemon constituting as your fruit?!
Happy Baking Sunday!