I LOVE Creme Eggs and as you know I LOVE baking so it was inevitable that the two would collide in a delicious concoction of cakey gooey goodness. This week I plan on making a few more batches of these and trialling out some Creme Egg borwnies which were posted by Cadbury on their Faceook page…om nom!!! So here it goes, a recipe to get you dooling and hopefully put a smile of my A level Performing Arts students’ faces when they nosh these down tomorrow!Feel free to tweak, change and put your own twist on these…no matter what happens you can’t make a creme egg taste bad so go crazy!!!
- 125g Stork
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 150g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 25g cocoa powder
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
- 125g dark chocolate (cut in to small chunks)
- 125g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2tbsp milk
Chocolate Dipped Cherries
- 5 Creme Eggs – cut in half
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees (180 fan) and line a tin with 10 muffin cases.
- Beat the stork and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time, adding some flour with the last 2 so the mixture doesn’t curdle.
- Fold in the flour and the cocoa powder with the milk.
- Finally stir the broken chocolate through so that it’s equally distributed.
- Spoon the mixture in to the cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes until they spring back when touched.
- Leave to cool in the tin…
- …and then on a wire rack whilst you make the frosting
- Beat the butter for a bit until it softens and then add the icing sugar.
- Turn up the speed of the mixer so that the frosting becomes super light and fluffy.
- Now add the cocoa powder and leave the mixer on medium speed for 5mins.
- When the cakes are cool pipe the frosting on to the cakes in swirls with a little peak in the middle ( this will help hold the creme eggs in place!)
- Cut your 5 creme eggs in half with a very sharp knife but be aware that they won’t cut perfectly and may break…this doesn’t matter once they’re all assembled..and let’s be honest creme eggs taste incredible in any format!
- Top each cake with half an egg and push down so they stay stuck…even if they run a bit that doesn’t matter!
I hope you enjoy giving these a go and seeing as Home Bargains is doing 8 creme eggs for £1 at the moment, there’s no excuse not to go completely egg-centric and goo over everything.
Happy Creme-Egg Baking