- 70g Stork
- 210g Caster sugar
- 105g soft brown sugar
- 255g Plain flour
- 2tbsp Baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- 240ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- grated zest of 1 orange (or similar citrus)
- 125g Willow or butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
- orange food flavouring
- 2 packets of Jaffa Cakes
- Milkybar Buttons
- Giant Cadbury buttons
- Preheat the oven to 190degrees and line two 12 hole muffin tins with cases – I chose to use silver as it made them look a little bit more fancy!
- Put both types of sugar and the Stork in the mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs in and a little flour with the last one; this minimises the chances of curdling.
- Now add the zest of your citrus fruit and the vanilla essence.
- Sift your flour, baking powder and cocoa in to a bowl.
- Measure out our milk.
- Now alternate between these with the mixer on medium speed.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix one last time.
- Spoon the mixture in to cases until they are about 2/3rds full…you want the mixture to rise above the cupcake case when baking to create the monkey’s head.
- Pop in the oven for 15minutes or until they spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make your frosting and start to prep your Chimp Features.
- Beat the Willow/Butter until soft then gradually add your icing sugar and cocoa. You may also need a little bit of milk to help smooth the mix. Now mix on high to a light fluffy mixture with around 1tbsp of orange flavouring (you really want it to pop!)
- Lay out as many Jaffa Cakes as you have in cakes.
- For each cake you will also need 2 Milkybar buttons (eyes) and 2 Cadbury Giant Buttons (ears).
- Lay out your Jaffa and your Milkybar buttons.
- Put 2tsp of frosting in to a bowl with a bit of red food colouring and then transfer to a piping bag with a small nozzle.
- You are now going to add eyes, nose holes and a mouth to your chimps. Be as expressive as you like, but I found cheeky chimp smiles to be rather apt!
- Now scoop the remaining mix in to a piping bag with a grass nozzle. Pipe a bit on to each cake to secure the Jaffa Cake and then pipe hair around this.
- Start to add the eyes and ears by pushing them in to the chimp hair.
- Stand back and admire your cheeky chimps in all their orangey glory!
These are a fun little bake and surprisingly easy to make even though the washing up afterwards is quite excessive! You can change ad tweak little things like the features or even make an orange coloured frosting and make these chaps Orang-Utangs instead!