My fiance Grant LOVES coffee cupcakes, he always suggests them whenever I ask the dreaded ‘What shall I bake?!’ question, and until 3 months ago it infuriated me as I didn’t like coffee. Something weird happened though and after a coffee out with friends, and perhaps a combination of sheer determination too, I am now a self-confessed coffeeaholic much to the glee of my mate Nic!
So this Tuesday just gone I decided to make coffee inspired cupcakes for our school department lunchtime. Even though the Hummingbird Espresso ones are Grant’s favourite I was desperate to make some with my own twist. I found a Toffee Mocha Recipe on the Baking Mad website and made them unique to me….
- 200g Stork
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 120g Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Free-Range Eggs
- 150ml Milk
- 2tsp Vanilla Essence
- 400g Self-Raising Flour
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- Condensed milk or creme de leche
- 2tsp Coffee granules (I used Carte Noire Instant)
- 2tsp Hot Water
- 100g Butter or Willow
- 200g Icing Sugar
- 2tsp Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Bronze edible balls
- Turn your oven to 180 degrees C, ensure you have your shelf positioned to the middle of the oven and prepare 12-18 muffin cases in to a muffin tin.
- Put the two kinds of sugar and the Stork in to a food mixer and beat until light and flour.
- Beat together the eggs and milk in a jug.
- Add the eggs and milk mixture gradually. Add a little flour when you add the second half of the milk mixture.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until it’s all combined.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and stir in using a spatula.
- Spoon mixture in to the muffin cases until they are about half full (about a tablespoons worth)
- Add a teaspoon of creme de leche or condensed milk to the cases and then put another tablespoon of mixture on top.
- I got about 16 cakes from this mixture and they were pretty big too.
- Place in the oven for about 20mins or until they spring back when touched on top.
- At this point boil the kettle and combine the coffee and hot water. Leave to cool.
- For the icing, beat the butter in a food mixer and add the icing sugar and cocoa gradually. This is up to you obviously but if I don’t add it gradually the kitchen is a cloud of icing sugar reminiscent of Stars in their Eyes!!!
- Once the icing sugar and butter are combined add the coffee water.
- Fit a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice, fill the bag with the icing and pipe on to the muffins in swirls!
- Sprinkle the tops of the cakes with chocolate sprinkles and edible bronze balls!